George began work as a guide on Mt. Rainier in 1975 while attending school at the University of Washington. He now holds the all-time record for ascents of Mt. Rainier, 508 (as of May 2013) and counting. After almost 40 years of guiding around the world, George remains an avid fan of mountaineering and enjoys sharing his passion with others. His special interests include the European Alps (the Matterhorn, Mont Blanc, Jungfrau), Alaska (Wrangell-St. Elias National Park) Canada (Mt. Logan) and Peru (Alpamayo and the Cordillera Blanca).
Domestically his interests include the North Cascades and Mt. Baker in Washington State. He runs comprehensive ice climbing seminars in Ouray, Colorado every winter and rock climbing in Smith Rocks, OR and Joshua Tree, CA in the spring and fall. He has participated on climbing expeditions the world over, including four expeditions to Everest (to the summit in 1991) and the North Face of Kanchenjunga, the world's third highest peak in 1989.
George is a Certified Alpine Guide with the American Mountain Guides Association and a Leave No Trace Master Educator. He holds current WFR First Aid Training and is a former Level II AIARE Avalanche Instructor. His hobbies include Nordic skiing and road biking. He shares his passion for the outdoors with his wife Nancy, grown sons Jimmy and Jeremy and dog Penny.
George Dunn's International Mountain Guides Trips
Europe and The Alps:
- Mt. Whitney (Mountaineer's Route)
- Mt. Baker
- Mt. Shuksan
- North Cascades Custom Climbs
- Joshua Tree Rock Climbing Seminars
- Smith Rocks Rock Climbing Seminars
- Ice Climbing Programs
- Ouray Veteran's Ice Seminar
- Mt. Logan, Canada
- Expeditions in Wrangell/St. Elias National Park, Alaska (including Mt. Bona, Mt. Bear, Mt. Blackburn and other ascents)
George Dunn in the News
- Oct 2013 Wall Street Journal article by one of George Dunn's clients on climbing later in life »
- May 2011 Backpacker Magazine article on Rainier's Reigning Champ: George Dunn recalls personal adventures and gives tips about climbing Mt. Rainier.
- Aug 2010 George Dunn's Top 10 Climbing Gear Tips
- Aug 2010 Backpacker Magazine on George Dunn's 500 Summits
- Jul 2010 Master of the Mountain: George Dunn nears a record-setting 500 summits on Mt. Rainier
- Jul 2010 What They're Saying About George Dunn as he approches a record-setting 500 summits on Mt. Rainier
- Sep 2004 George Dunn holds record for Mt. Rainier summits.