December 23, 2012
Heard from both of our current Aconcagua teams today, Sunday, December 23. Eben and team saw the writing on the wall after a valiant attempt to get higher yesterday. Winds in the 100 kph range around the area of the Ameghino Col told them no. And they listened. After a final review of weather/wind forecasts after returning to base, the team realized there was no reasonable expectation of a predictable let up in sight. Summit day winds don’t look acceptable until Thursday. Tough to pull the plug when everyone is strong and moving well but the mountain said no and they listened.
Josh reported a successful carry to C1 today. That’s always a tough day but folks did well, got the job done and had a good dinner at Plaza Argentina and are now getting some well-deserved sleep.