January 5, 2014
Good day at the bottom of the world. A little cold and a little breezy was the report from Greg and Aaron as they were standing on the summit of Vinson Massif with their entire group. 100% on top. Always great to hear.
January 4, 2014
Greg, Aaron and team are at high camp on Vinson Massif. They made the move today from Camp 1 and are now melting ice like crazy, rehydrating, eating and prepping for a possible summit attempt in the morning. They’ll wait until the sun has begun to warm up high camp before setting off. Of course, it’s all weather dependent, especially with the winds. As of now, it looks like they may have a shot. And if not tomorrow, there’s the next day or the next. The trick now is to pick the right shot. Keeping our fingers crossed for the weather to cooperate.
Josh, Leandro and team arrived early today at high camp. Resting, eating and drinking have been the order of the afternoon. Forecast calls for winds to be their lowest tonight and tomorrow morning. It’s time to take a shot at the summit. Team feels good and ready. Wish them luck.
January 3, 2014
IMG Guide Josh McDowell (aka McD) called in today reporting great conditions on the mountain. Clouds in the distance and light winds let the carry go pretty smoothly today. They hung around for a little bit at High Camp to do a little training then made their way back to C2 where they’ll sleep tonight. If all goes as planned they’ll move up to HC tomorrow then, weather permitting, they’ll head for the summit early Sunday morning.
Back here stateside Phil Ershler and Josh Tapp were busy going over the last minute details and packing list for the next Aconcagua team. Tapp leaves tomorrow morning and will meet his team (Team 3) in a few days.
That’s all for now.
January 2, 2014
Josh McDowell called in this afternoon. The crew enjoyed a rest day at C2, but they’re chomping at the bit and anxious to move up. Plan, as of now, is to make a carry to 3 tomorrow, moving up the next day. Then, we see what the wind looks like and try to pick the best day for a summit attempt.
January 1, 2014
Happy New Year to friends and family from IMG teams on 3 continents.
Happy New Year!
December 29, 2013
IMG guides Greg Vernovage, Aaron Mainer and their team are on a roll. They took off last night aboard an IL76 from Punta Arenas, Chile, heading south. A short night was spent at Union Glacier, approximately 80 degree S. latitude. This morning they were on another flight aboard a Twin Otter heading for Vinson base camp. Their camp is now built and the team is preparing for a carry tomorrow to C1 at around 10,000 ft on Vinson. Like most expedition climbs, a carry and then a move to a higher camp is sort of standard procedure. Greg reported clear skies and almost no wind. Remember, it’s light 24/7 that far south at this time of year. No headlamps required on a Vinson climb.