June 9, 2011
Despite the lack cell reception on the mountain, IMG Guide Mike Haft was able to sneak out a couple photos from their High Camp. If the weather holds and snow conditions permit they’ll climb tonight.
June 8, 2011
With 18 guides and 36 climbers on 4 different routes it’s safe to say we’ve got the mountain covered right now.
Greg and his Emmons crew summitted via the Emmons yesterday and are making their way out today, Andy and his team on the Kautz are heading up to High Camp, Erica and her team left Camp Muir a couple hours ago and are en route to Ashford, Max Bunce and Co. will cross paths with the Erica’s team as they make their way to Camp Muir this morning and finally Mike Haft and Chris Meder along with their team are on Day 1 of our first Fuhrer Finger program this year.
June 6, 2011
Every year the NPS flies some much needed supplies to various locations on the mountain as well as flying some of the waste that gets collected at the different camps off the mountain. This year, in conjunction with the NPS, we flew up some propane, some boards we attach to ladders for occasional crevasse crossings and some replacement tents.
June 5, 2011
After a tough stretch here on Mt. Rainier, we’re happy to report that our team tagged the top yesterday via the DC. On Friday, guides from both IMG and RMI put in a ton of hard work on the route, opening it up for their teams, and many to follow. A big thank you goes out to Dustin (IMG), Andy (IMG) & Mike (RMI), along with the teams that summitted yesterday helping establish the route on the upper mountain.
Our next team is at Camp Muir, sitting just below the clouds today, they’ll head up to the Ingraham Flats where they hope to pop out of the clouds into the sunshine this afternoon, before they climb tonight/tomorrow.
On the other side of the mountain, Greg Vernovage is just back from Nepal and is leading our Emmons team. Today is Day 1 for those guys, and they plan on getting to Camp 1 at about 8000ft. on the Inter Glacier. It’s tough going over there this time of year but it’s a strong crew and they’ll do just fine!
June 1, 2011
For several years, my wife, Sue, has helped support “Stop Girl Trafficking” through the American Himalayan Foundation. The program provides scholarship money to Nepali girls for books, uniforms and transportation. While in Nepal last week, we had an opportunity to visit with several young women who have been receiving scholarships to stay in school and continue their education. We met an amazing group of young women who told us how the program has helped change their lives. They were confident, poised and articulate. And, incredibly grateful for the opportunity to simply go to school.
What we saw was a program which works. Join Sue and me and give the girls a hand.
May 31, 2011
Guide Sheldon Kerr called at 12:30pm AKDT in transit to Anchorage. The entire team is off the mountain safely and on their way back home.
Bush pilot Paul Claus flew into the landing site on the Klutlan Glacier and picked the team up at 8am this morning. They were transported to the state air strip at Chitina and then after sorting gear started the 4½ hour drive back to Anchorage. First stop on the way was the shower facility at Kenny Lake and then on to Glennallen for some Thai food. Arrangements for each of the team members are being made currently for lodging in Anchorage tonight or immediate flights back home this evening as flights are available. If you have not yet heard from your family/loved one you can expect a call from them shortly.
My congratulations to the entire team for one of the most efficient ascents of Mt. Bona in some time. Well done!
May 29, 2011
Sheldon called in at 3pm AKDT. The whole team is now back safely at base camp.
They made an attempt on Mt. Churchill from high camp this morning but the weather was not good. Instead they descended all the way back down to base. They will call the bush pilot at 7am to give him a weather report for the landing site, and they may be flown out as early as tomorrow. Of course, it all depends on the weather.
May 29, 2011
Guide Sheldon Kerr called in yesterday at 5:30pm AKDT.
She reports that EVERYONE summited at 2:15 pm yesterday. It was “really gorgeous weather”, no wind and warm. The entire group did well. They are tired, but resting comfortably in camp. They’ll make a decision tomorrow morning, and some may elect to climb Mt. Churchill. They will then head down to the airstrip.
Again, an excellent job today by the entire group, congratulations to them all!
4:00 pm AKDT, May 27, 2011
The team is at 14,400’ just east of the “Kidney Bean” in the saddle between Bona and Churchill. They are digging in at their high camp and all is well. Everyone is healthy and fine, but tired. They may summit tomorrow, depending on weather and how the group is feeling. Otherwise they will take a rest day.
Right now the weather is “iffy” with clouds coming in and out and low visibility. If the weather is like this tomorrow, they will take a rest day.
Clarissa Morford, IMG staff