December 12th, 2017
Best laid plans……as they say. Weather did not permit a flight off the Ice for the team on the 12th. Team is still at Vinson base camp. If the weather says ‘no’, no one flies. Earliest flight now is scheduled for 15 or 16 December. Not the ideal scenario but it is what it is. 80 degrees S latitude is one of the most isolated and difficult places to reach on earth. ALE, our flight service, has a perfect safety record because they’re conservative. We rely on their expertise to say when it’s safe to fly. No limit to the food and fuel available on the Ice so no issue other than waiting gets hard but no nearly as hard as climbing Vinson and the team’s already done that!!
They’ll get off as soon as it’s safe to fly.