May 31, 2012
Mark called in with an update on the Logan team. After a rest day to recover from their previous efforts on the upper mountain, they started the descent from Camp 4 at 10am on Thursday May 29, heading down to Camp 3 and their cache of supplies there. Conditions were not great, it was pretty much white-out with 5 foot visibility [note reference to ping pong ball in title] and 20mph winds. Definitely navigating by compass and gps! The group made it to Camp 3 at 4110m and due to a shift in the winds, had to rebuild their camp walls before setting up camp.Mark says the guides provided tent door service to the group for dinner that night. Everyone worked hard! Currently it is windy, snowing and poor visibility.
The group will sit tight until conditions improve, then will continue their descent to the pickup site. The good news is they are now out of the worst of the weather; they have plenty of food and fuel and the team is all healthy. They’ll continue to wait for the good weather and will be in position to capitalize on it when it comes.
UPDATE May 31 @2:30pm: Mark called in this afternoon to report improving conditions allowing them to continue downhill. Their goal is C1 if the weather holds.
P.S. Happy Birthday to Sven’s father!